Sunday, August 30, 2009

Pork Dumplings


I dont know about anyone else, I love Asian food - especially potstickers or dumplings. Well, I finally tried making some and they came out really good! Here is my recipe if you want to try it - if you make some, let me know what you think. I made mine with ground Pork, you can use chicken as well if you dont eat Pork.

1 12 oz pkg Won Ton skins
(There are 48 won ton skins in a pkg - this recipe will make 48 dumplings. These dumplings freeze well).

For Filling:
1 lb ground Pork
4 scallions, chopped fine
3 tbsp soy sauce
(I didnt add any salt - soy sauce is salted enough)
1 tsp garlic powder
Fresh ground pepper

For the dipping sauce, I used Panda Express bottled Mandarin sauce.

Mix ground pork with all the ingredients.
Place 1 small tsp filling in center of won ton skin - moisten edges with water.
Fold in half to form triangle and pinch seam on top, moisten to seal.
Place dumplings on a large cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
Continue until all of the won ton skins are used.
(I froze mine on the cookie sheet and packed in serving size portions in a zip lock bag after dumplings were completely frozen.)

To Cook:
Add 3 tbsp vegetable oil in a heated skillet. Place dumplings filling side down and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the bottom is browned. Pour 1/4 cup cool water in skillet and immediately cover and allow dumplings to steam. Cover quickly - skillet will sizzle. Steam for 1 minute - remove cover and lay dumplings flat on one side and steam for another 2 minutes. Remove to serving plate and serve with dipping sauce.

NOTE: When cooking the dumplings, dont crowd them in the skillet. I cooked 12 in an 8" skillet, with plenty of room to move the dumplings around.

Enjoy!

0 comments: